Thursday 2 August 2007

Born in August

So, my latest layout, as I said yesterday a little different in style for me but still making use of my beloved Autumn Leaves Flourishes stamps!

This is another photo that I've had printed for ages but just didn't know how to treat it. I had thought about cream colours and crochet flowers but it didn't seem quite right - the light quality in the photo is poor (something to do with hospital lighting I suppose) and it really needed something zingy to help hide that! Baby blues and pastels were not going to work. So in the end I decided to take my main colour from (believe it or not) the bottle of Kiaora sitting on the bedside table. I combined this with some papers from the Basic Grey Perhaps range and then got out my boomin blossoms kit from Rebecca's Srapbooking Stash and went mad arranging huge blooms around the layout.


But with such a strong colour it needed something more - my usual technique of doodling in black pen wasn't going to work on this one. So I decided to try some embossing in gold. I stamped some flourishes around the page, stamped part of the title in See D's stamps and then embossed the edges of the layout too. While gold embossing powder is perhaps more reminiscent of Christmas cards, I like the colour scheme - it reminds me of late August which is the time of year my brother was born.


The journalling on the layout reads:

What were the chances of Steven being born on the day after your birthday Mum? Steven Michael Harp, 21st August 1988.


Despite this being a bit of a departure from the norm for me, I like the layout. It's always a good idea to try different things once in a while, I definitely wouldn't rule out using embossing powders again.

No comments:

Post a Comment