Tuesday 23 September 2008

Endless peace

I'm guessing the subject matter of this very quick layout I put together last night is evidence of my state of mind at the moment - craving a bit of peace and quiet! I really enjoy my job and working with the kids but sometimes the things they do get me down and I have to remind myself that it is only a job after all. There has been a bit of a spate of violence amongst the kids, one or two in my tutor group included, and what seem like perfectly reasonable young people show a side of themselves that is less than pleasant. Hopefully we can sort out some of the issues and get them back on track, I certainly hope so.



The layout is of a photo Ed took of me in the Isle of Wight a couple of years ago - I had scrapped it before as part of a mini-book but I felt it deserved its own page. The photo instantly takes me back to that quiet graveyard on a sunny hillside, and I can feel the peace and tranquility of the moment again. I wanted to capture that in the layout, which I put together using my August Cocoa Daisy kit. After a while of putting layouts together for design teams and commissions, I wanted to do something simple and easy, and this layout fit the bill - it only took an hour, which is almost unheard of for my layouts!



I really like stapling ribbon to the page at the moment and letting it overhang the edge - while it can be annoying when you are trying to fit them in the page protectors, I hate the idea that I have to fit everything into the straight edges of the cardstock. I am also LOVING those Making Memories tiny alphas - they suit so many layouts, and they are much more readily available now, they even sell them in my local Hobbycraft. A year or so ago they were like gold dust! The paper was one of those sheets that I would probably never have chosen in a shop because the detail is all around the edges, so you can't really cut into them. But I am trying to use the 'less is more' approach with these and letting the patterns on the paper speak for themselves. Not exactly my usual style I know but its always good to try something different and it really makes you think about the design of the page more carefully as every element can make a difference to the look of the layout.

No comments:

Post a Comment